Wednesday 6 June 2007

It is accomplished...

I've finally installed Linux! For those of you who don't know, I've chosen openSUSE, partly because of the GUI (the "K" button is almost an exact replica of the Vista Start Menu).


The installation process went mostly without hassles, although the DVD I borrowed from a friend was SUSE (the commercial version), so I had to order a $20 DVD from EverythingLinux.com.au and re-install. Since I had exceeded the measly 500MB web download allowance for the month already, I had to contend with dialup speeds for the update, which took 3 nights of constant downloading. After that, I finally had a functioning Linux installation!


The 2.6Ghz Celeron, 750MB RAM, 80G HDD computer I am running it on seems to work reasonably with just KDE apps, but when I try to run Lincity-ng it falls over, as I have yet to purchase a graphics card!


Anyway, I'm out of time now, but I'll try to provide regular updates about what I'm doing with Linux.


David

No comments: